I am interested in savoring, a process through which people are attentive to and appreciative of a positive experience. Although it is often difficult because of the natural tendency to adapt to life's constancies, I am currently investigating strategies people can use to enhance their ability to savor. I am also interested in strategies for enhancing happiness, and how happiness is experienced and sustained cross-culturally.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
- Kurtz, J. L. (2011). Happiness and self-knowledge: A positive psychology/JDM hybrid course. Journal of Positive Psychology, 6, 463-467.
- Kurtz, J. L. (2008). Looking to the future to appreciate the present: The benefits of perceived temporal scarcity. Psychological Science, 19, 1238-1241.
- Kurtz, J. L., Wilson, T. D., & Gilbert, D. T. (2007). Quantity versus uncertainty: When winning one prize is better than winning two. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 43, 979-985.
- Oishi, S., Kurtz, J. L., Miao, F., Park, J. & Whitchurch, E. R. (2011). The role of familiarity in daily well-being: Developmental and cultural variation. Developmental Psychology, 47, 1750-1756.
- Oishi, S., Whitchurch, E. R, Miao, F., Kurtz, J. L. & Park, J. (2009). Would I be happier if I moved? Age and cultural variations in the anticipated and actual levels of well-being. Journal of Positive Psychology, 4, 437 – 446.
- Royal, J. D. & Kurtz, J. L. (2010). I ate what?! The effect of stress and dispositional eating style on food intake and behavioral awareness. Personality and Individual Differences, 49, 565-569.
- Wilson, T. D., Wheatley, T. P., Kurtz, J. L., Dunn, E. W., & Gilbert, D. T. (2004). When to fire: Anticipatory versus postevent reconstrual of uncontrollable events. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 340-351.
- Kurtz, J. L. & Lyubomirsky, S. (in press). Using mindful photography to increase positive emotion and appreciation. In J. J. Froh & A. C. Parks (Eds.). Positive psychology in higher education: A practical workbook for the classroom. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Smith, J. L., Harrison, P. R., Kurtz, J. L., & Bryant, F. B. (in press). Interventions for enhancing the capacity to savor positive experience. In A.C. Parks (Ed.), Handbook of positive psychological interventions. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Kurtz, J. L. (2008). Book review: Savoring: A new model of positive experience. Journal of Positive Psychology, 3, 83-86.
- Kurtz, J. L. & Lyubomirsky, S. (2011). Positive psychology. In M. Mehl & T. S. Connor (Eds.). Handbook of research methods for studying everyday life. Guilford.
- Kurtz, J. L., & Lyubomirsky, S. (2008). Towards a durable happiness. In S. J. Lopez & J. G. Rettew (Eds.), The Positive Psychology Perspective Series (Vol. 4). Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Lyubomirsky, S. & Kurtz, J. L. (2008). Positively happy: Sustainable route to happiness. Coventry, UK: CAPP Press.
- Oishi, S. & Kurtz, J. L. (2011). The positive psychology of positive emotions: An avuncular view. In K. Sheldon, T. Kashdan, & M. Steger (Eds.), Designing the future of positive psychology: Taking stock and moving forward (pp. 101-114). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Happiness and Self-Knowledge
- Personality Psychology
- Positive Psychology
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
James Madison University
91 East Grace Street, MSC 7704
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807
- Phone: (540) 568-4966